Sign in to follow this  
porky11

Ball Connection Game

I'm currently working on a game, inspired by "world of goo".

You can control balls and use balls to build something by connecting them.

Here a small demo: https://imgur.com/5W8QO2A

I'm not sure yet, how to deal with online, and also thought about using cryptocurrency based platforms like Ardor or this.

First, I have to tell, which online features will be needed in my game.

It will be possible to play the game in multiplayer mode. Normally not that many players (2, 3, 4 maybe). In some cases it may even be useful to have a few hundred of players (for example multiple persons live on different planets and have to fight each other and build spaceships using balls). Input has to be sent multiple times per second, since it contains real time physics simulation. So for this part, using a blockchain will not work.

It may be possible to store the state of the game every few seconds  in the blockchain, so when the games desynchronize (when everyone calculates the whole game) for some reason, the last valid state can be reloaded, but this also won't be a good solution.

For matching up with other players, the blockchain may be a useful way to store the data. The communication will be over UDP or TCP directly to the other player.

The game will also include a powerful level editor, so it would be cool to be able to share these levels.

The levels could be stored in blockchain and user ratings.

There have to be reasons to play levels of other people, so getting money for creating or playing levels, seems like a good idea.

But I'm not sure yet, what you should be able to do with the money. Maybe promoting own levels or buying special balls/levels/editor features? (which could all be used anyway with small hacks)

I'd also like to have some mechanisms for players to find good levels easily. But I don't think, such a platform will help there much (or will it?)

Do you think, it's reasonable to use such a platform in my case and are my thoughts for use cases?

Thanks for getting in touch and looking at Xaya for your game!  I'm not yet sure that I have fully understood how the game will work (especially what exactly a "level" is and how it can be solved - is this a puzzle game with a clear goal for solving each level?), so please excuse if I've misunderstood something.

I think a good way to adapt this game to blockchain could be similar to how Motocoin used to work (for those who remember this classic of blockchain gaming).  For instance, every 100 blocks or so a random level is generated.  Then users can play this level locally and submit their winning sequence of moves.  Whoever got the "best" solution in the 100 blocks timeframe then wins some coins.  (And as you said, coins could be used to buy powerups in the game, for instance.)

This would have the advantage that game play itself is realtime (local), without any concerns about block intervals.  But running this game on a blockchain would allow a fair and transparent distribution of your in-game coins, which might be tradable, serve as a "token of recognition" for the best players, or have other uses.

The big downside is that this only works if you can generate "fun to play" levels randomly.  There's IMHO not much point to have a game with a finite set of manually created levels on a blockchain in this way, as that would make it trivial to implement bots.

I think, the main game should be a puzzle game. Have a look at "World of Goo".

It's will probably not be possible to create fun to play levels randomly or at least it will be very difficult.
It may be possible to create some kind of strategy game levels randomly, that could be fun to play, where you have to fight some enemies.
But random levels should not be the reason of the online part of the game anyway, but building levels oneself and publishing (similar to mario maker)

The problem is probably, that it's difficult to prevent spamming bad or unfinishable levels, and storing these on the blockchain is not a good idea.

I should look more about how this works exactly.

Ok, I see.  If you think that the main reason for blockchain is the level-sharing aspect, then I think the platform we are building is not ideal for your usecase (although it might still be useful).  I don't think that levels should be published to the blockchain in the way you describe at all; that's just not the right use for a blockchain in the first place (and it wouldn't solve any problem for you).  But of course you can use a cryptocurrency (including CHI) to accept payments for levels on some market place - but the market place itself (the levels, their prices and all that) should not be on the blockchain, I think.

I'm really glad to see more active developers taking an interest in XAYA! Even if it wouldn't be a nice fit I have such high hopes for this project.

• Like 1