snailbrain

[HOW TO] Backup Wallets

If using the QT

1. Press File

2. Press Backup

3. Choose a location and call it mybackup.dat (or whatever you want). (Documents folder etc are invalid. You should backup to another drive).

4. Press Save.

note: you should probably encrypt your wallet if you have a lot of coins (in settings). If you do encrypt your wallet, then your previous backups are void, so you should backup again.

image.png.2e3fe0691fd6b90bdb1d60b85d912fbf.png

-----------------

Backup your wallet with XAYA Electron

XAYA Electron creates 2 wallet files. Vault and Game. You should backup both. You should also encrypt your vault wallet first or your backups will be invalid if you encrypt it later.

1. Press Settings

2. Press Backup Vault 

image.thumb.png.c687d87c105ce3b11c5282c28b6134da.png

3. then choose a location for the backup (not documents, another drive or a none-user folder). and press save

4. Repeat for the Game Wallet.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

When I try to do this on my Mac it comes up error and won't complete - any ideas why this is? I'm attempting to back-up on to an external hard drive; it's correctly formatted so it's not that!

4 hours ago, Ashley Taylor said:

Hi,

When I try to do this on my Mac it comes up error and won't complete - any ideas why this is? I'm attempting to back-up on to an external hard drive; it's correctly formatted so it's not that!

I don't have a Mac anymore, but the QT is basically the same on every platform. 

One bit about the backup feature in the QT is that when you click "Save", the backup operation takes place in the background, and then give you a notification. With the Bitcoin QT, I've seen this take a significant amount of time. Try opening a Finder window in the same place that you are backing up. Also, try backing up to a location on your system drive, and then copy it to your external drive. 

If you continue to have issues, try backing up your wallet.dat file manually. 

There's a thread here on that:

Your QT wallet on OS X should be here:

~/Library/Application Support/Xaya/wallets/wallet.dat

You can simply copy that file to a backup location.

Also, for the sake of being thorough, it's a good idea to shut down your QT wallet software beforehand, then back up the wallet, then restart your QT wallet. This is just in case there's a file lock on the wallet when you copy it. 

Whenever I try to back up my wallet I go to the browser to select where I want to save it to, but instead of having a "save" button, I'm getting an "open" button.

👉 Download the 1.1.1a version of the wallet: https://github.com/xaya/xaya_electron/releases/tag/1.1.1a.
👉 Install that version.
👉Go to settings afterwards and hit the "delete chain" button.
👉Wait for your wallet to fully sync.

You won't lose your CHI, don't worry.
If you haven't done so already in the past, you should do a backup with your old wallet version first though just to be safe. Store those backup files on external drives and not only on your computer.
🤙 If you backed your wallet up already in the past, just do those steps mentioned above.

• Like 1