Paul Gregory

Confused about latency and Xaya/Blockchain

Hi,

I hope someone here can clarify something that I've been unable to determine with any certainty from the various sources of documentation around Xaya, the community, the wiki, the white papers, none of them seem to provide a definitive answer to my question, or if they do the information is pretty well buried and I've been unable to surface it.

In the white paper (English) there is a chart on page 20, Table 1, where the speed is identified as "Realtime" for Xaya. Yet in the wiki tutorial, First Steps, it states...

Rita can update the value of her account with the first move:

"e2 to e4"
After about 30 seconds this will enter the blockchain.

I infer from that information that moving is a turn based event, where there is a delay of 30 seconds or so before the move of one player in the game space is transferred into the blockchain, and thence onto the other players. Is this correct? If so, this is not what I would refer to as realtime, so is in conflict with the other statement in the white paper. 

Very keen to understand if Xaya is suitable for a real realtime MMO experience, or if the nature of the blockchain based implementation, while innovative and I'm sure incredibly powerful in other aspects, precludes the possibility of a truly realtime experience.

Sincerely

Paul Gregory

On 4/21/2019 at 4:35 AM, Paul Gregory said:

Hi,

I hope someone here can clarify something that I've been unable to determine with any certainty from the various sources of documentation around Xaya, the community, the wiki, the white papers, none of them seem to provide a definitive answer to my question, or if they do the information is pretty well buried and I've been unable to surface it.

In the white paper (English) there is a chart on page 20, Table 1, where the speed is identified as "Realtime" for Xaya. Yet in the wiki tutorial, First Steps, it states...

I infer from that information that moving is a turn based event, where there is a delay of 30 seconds or so before the move of one player in the game space is transferred into the blockchain, and thence onto the other players. Is this correct? If so, this is not what I would refer to as realtime, so is in conflict with the other statement in the white paper. 

Very keen to understand if Xaya is suitable for a real realtime MMO experience, or if the nature of the blockchain based implementation, while innovative and I'm sure incredibly powerful in other aspects, precludes the possibility of a truly realtime experience.

Hello Paul!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

And yes, you've made a good point. 

The short answer is that realtime gaming will be fully available inside of XAYA Game Channels. We've not released that yet, but it is coming. 

At the moment games are limited to ~30 second blocks. Some information on mining and block speeds is available here:

https://github.com/xaya/xaya/blob/master/doc/xaya/mining.md#high-level-overview-for-triple-purpose-mining-

Once we've implemented the game channels technology, realtime gaming will be possible. However, I should mention that there is a small caveat there. Due to the XAYA network being P2P, there is a bit more latency than in a strictly server-based game. This will have limiting effects for games where tiny millisecond differences are important, such as in some First Person Shooter games. Now, that could be dealt with in different ways to limit the negative effects of a P2P network by grouping players into groups with lower ping times between them or perhaps some other method. (There is all the issue of what "realtime" means in some computing jargon, such as for a realtime OS. However, that sort of computing really isn't very relevant for our purposes, and is rather niche. None of Windows, Linux, or Mac are realtime OSes.)

The realtime gaming experience is coming. We hope to have Game Channels out as soon as we can manage. 

Hopefully I've answered your question. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify. 

Cheers,

Ryan