DarkClaw

Max number of names on chain

If .01 chi gets locked up in  each name and there will be ~77 million chi, is it correct to conclude the max number of names is limited to ~7.7 trillion?

something like that yes.

If we got near that number then chi would probably be very expensive... 
we can also of course make the price lower if it gets more expensive.

Posted (edited)

Thanks. Also, sorry if this is a dumb question but...

This is what I see for registering a name:

name_register "name" "value" ("options")

Register a new name.

Arguments:
1. "name"          (string, required) the name to register
2. "value"         (string, required) value for the name
3. "options"       (object, optional)
  {
    "nameEncoding",           (string) Encoding ("ascii", "utf8" or "hex") of the name argument
    "valueEncoding",          (string) Encoding ("ascii", "utf8" or "hex") of the value argument
    "destAddress",            (string) The address to send the name output to
    "sendCoins":              (object) Addresses to which coins should be sent additionally
    {
      "addr1": x,             
      "addr2": y,             
    }
  }

Result:
"txid"             (string) the name_register's txid

Examples:
> xaya-cli name_register "myname", "new-value"
> xaya-cli name_register "myname", "new-value", "NEX4nME5p3iyNK3gFh4FUeUriHXxEFemo9"
> curl --user myusername --data-binary '{"jsonrpc": "1.0", "id":"curltest", "method": "name_register", "params": ["myname", "new-value"] }' -H 'content-type: text/plain;' http://127.0.0.1:8336/

I tried to follow the second example exactly ( I am guessing that is the "destAddress"?) and get an error

xxx@xxx:~$ xaya-cli name_register "p/abcdefghi", "{}", "CUMknkny8frcxGNT9SEVE5uXXDR5azw43W"
error: Error parsing JSON:CUMknkny8frcxGNT9SEVE5uXXDR5azw43W

Basically I would like to know how to link multiple names to the same address.

EDIT:

I guess this should go on the github. I will repost there.

Edited by DarkClaw

Yes, that's a bug in the example (although one in Namecoin).  So ideally file an issue on the Namecoin Github (https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin-core).

• Thanks 1

I'm not aware of any discussion, but yes, it matters.  Names in Namecoin are just arrays of bytes.  Xaya mostly inherits that, except that it only allows certain byte strings (for instance, they must be valid UTF-8).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, domob said:

I'm not aware of any discussion, but yes, it matters.  Names in Namecoin are just arrays of bytes.  Xaya mostly inherits that, except that it only allows certain byte strings (for instance, they must be valid UTF-8).

If one of the use-cases is for people to reuse their player name across different games, I think it would be annoying if someone has the same name but with different capitalization. Basically you need to buy all the variants if you want to prevent that. Eg,

user, User, USER, USer, USEr, uSER, usER, etc.

I guess it is cheap enough, but registering all variants along with a name could possibly be a feature in the electron wallet.

Edited by DarkClaw

On 4/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, DarkClaw said:

If one of the use-cases is for people to reuse their player name across different games, I think it would be annoying if someone has the same name but with different capitalization. Basically you need to buy all the variants if you want to prevent that. Eg,

I guess it is cheap enough, but registering all variants along with a name could possibly be a feature in the electron wallet.

Another thing to consider is bloat due to this.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, DarkClaw said:

For my own take on this issue, it may make sense to "defend" a name by claiming similar names, but only up to a point, after which it becomes impractical. For example, it may make sense to register the following:

• user
  • User
  • USER

But beyond that I don't think it's practical as you can get into situations like this:

• us3r
  • Us3r
  • US3R
  • u53r
  • u5er
  • etc.

Then, you also have the following situation:

• " user"
  • "user "
  • etc.

My guess is that games should filter what they consider "illegal" names, e.g. names that begin or start with a space or that contain quotes, etc.

I rather doubt that people will register exhaustive defenses against similar names, so bloat will not likely be an issue there. It's not practical, and games will most likely filter for what they consider illegal names. 

Or, perhaps in other words, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it. 

However, that's my own personal take on it. How things bear out in reality remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

Good points, we will see I guess. I do think it would be convenient to add in an option to the wallet to generate common variants.