News Ticker
Sign in to follow this  
DarkClaw

Xaya electron wallet v 1.02: Multiple questions/issues (Windows 7)

I decided to write up the issues I was facing, and even did a little extra testing for thoroughness sake. The most important issue for me is that I couldn't figure out how to set the RPC user/pass and change the dataDir:

1) Wallet does not show version number in "About".

- I see it says it on the "overview" page but expect this info in "About".

2) How do I set the RPC username and password override and change my datadir?

- I go to Settings -> Advanced and type in what I want but then there is no submit button. If I then navigate to the Settings -> Default panel there is a "Submit Settings" button/ Upon clicking it tells me "Success Settings Saved". But nothing seems to happen. I still need to access RPC using the info in the .cookie file (which changes each time the client is restarted) and the old AppData dataDir is still used. Also, if I return to the Settings -> Advanced screen all fields are empty again.

- Is there (supposed to be) a xaya.conf file somewhere that is saving this stuff? I can't find one.

- perhaps this is related to the unresponsive console interface I mentioned elsewhere

4) When I encrypted my wallet an info screen unexpectedly popped up saying something about restarting but then closed before I could finish reading it.

- What did it say?

5) What is name value under "Create names"?

-Earlier it seemed to be auto filled in with something like {"p/X":"} but today by default it is just an empty bracket {}. I have no idea if thats expected or not.

What works?

1) Send chi from game to vault wallet and vice versa, whether encrypted or not.

2) Register names (although I haven't figured out how to get a list of these from the blockchain yet.. so haven't verified it)

3) Solo mining neoscrypt (via ccminer 2.1)

4) RPC queries

5) Backup the wallet and restore from backups

6) Updating versions

Edited by DarkClaw
typo

Hey! Thanks a lot for the feedback, 

1) Added in 1.0.3

2) "Submit" button is visible, if you scroll down a bit, when you are inside 'Advanced' tab. Hmmm, maybe this needs to be made more obvious. For the rpc settings to work, you need to create xaya.conf  file manually inside datadir folder and add rpc data in there. Then, wallet will read data not from .cookies file, but from the actual xaya.conf 

3) Console usually work, but its gimmick and will go away soon, so ignore it

4) It said that it will restart automatically. In 1.0.3 it will not happen and will actually wait for the user to click 'OK, RESTART' button.

5) That is the value you want to have for the name. Default is empty JSON, '{}', which is fine. Before that, it was making a duplicate of the actual name into the value field, if value field were empty, but it was fixed in 1.0.2 I think.

27 minutes ago, RyuMaster Gorskov said:

"Submit" button is visible, if you scroll down a bit, when you are inside 'Advanced' tab. Hmmm, maybe this needs to be made more obvious. For the rpc settings to work, you need to create xaya.conf  file manually inside datadir folder and add rpc data in there. Then, wallet will read data not from .cookies file, but from the actual xaya.conf 

Thanks. Somehow I did not think to scroll... Also is there a guide to making a xaya.conf? Eg, is this good enough?

# If no rpcpassword is set, rpc cookie auth is sought. The default `-rpccookiefile` name
# is .cookie and found in the `-datadir` being used for bitcoind. This option is typically used
# when the server and client are run as the same user.
#
# If not, you must set rpcuser and rpcpassword to secure the JSON-RPC api. The first
# method(DEPRECATED) is to set this pair for the server and client:
#rpcuser=Ulysseys
#rpcpassword=YourSuperGreatPasswordNumber_DO_NOT_USE_THIS_OR_YOU_WILL_GET_ROBBED_385593

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/contrib/debian/examples/bitcoin.conf

35 minutes ago, RyuMaster Gorskov said:

That is the value you want to have for the name. Default is empty JSON, '{}', which is fine. Before that, it was making a duplicate of the actual name into the value field, if value field were empty, but it was fixed in 1.0.2 I think.

Thanks, I also found this description later on and it was helpful:

As with Bitcoin, Namecoin and Xaya implement a distributed ledger by tracking the current set of "unspent transaction outputs". However, in addition to pure currency transactions, they also implement a name-value database. This database is stored and updated similar to the UTXO set. Each entry contains the following fields:

• Name: A byte array with restrictions that is the "key" for the name-value-database. In Xaya, this is typically the account name of a player. It can be up to 256 bytes.
  • Value: Another, typically longer, byte array (also with restrictions) that holds data associated with the name. In Xaya, this is used to store a player's latest moves or other actions. It can be up to 2,048 bytes.
  • Address: Similar to transaction outputs, each name is associated with a Xaya address (Bitcoin script) that "owns" it. Only the owner has write access to this name's entry, while everyone can read it from the database. The owner can send the name to a different address, either one of their own or to someone else's.

https://github.com/xaya/Specs/blob/master/blockchain.md

Hey there, I thought I would add to the thread here that wallet backups do not work for me on 1.02. Tried messing with several things to no luck. The error was as follows: 

Permission Error
{"message":"Error: Wallet backup failed!","code":-4,"name":"o"}

I'm plenty familiar with manual backups, so I'll be fine. Just thought I'd say something.

4 hours ago, FusedHelios said:

Hey there, I thought I would add to the thread here that wallet backups do not work for me on 1.02. Tried messing with several things to no luck. The error was as follows: 

Permission Error
 {"message":"Error: Wallet backup failed!","code":-4,"name":"o"}

I'm plenty familiar with manual backups, so I'll be fine. Just thought I'd say something.

Thanks for chiming in. 

We're aware of the issue. It's being addressed. 

For anyone else, I've posted some quick help about manual backups here: