Should we release a new update which makes the game backwards compatible but loses progress since the list update?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should we release a new update which makes the game backwards compatible but loses progress since the list update?

• Yes
    • No

Hi everyone!

With the latest version, there were a couple of backwards incompatible changes made. Unfortunately, what this means is that some things that happened in the past now didn't happen which causes a ripple effect through the history of the game. Since we're still in beta and are planning a reset before we do another competition (which will likely be soon!), I didn't put in code to stop this from happening (which is what we'd do after beta). If I release another update with that code, then anything that happened between the last update and then could be reversed. What do you guys prefer?

As long as TF is officially still in beta, I think there is no problem, if you lose some progress. BUT people don't know, that TF is still in beta and they don't know, that there will most likely be another reset.

So there needs to be a little information on the TF download page and then all good for my liking.

8 hours ago, tyKiwanuka said:

As long as TF is officially still in beta, I think there is no problem, if you lose some progress. BUT people don't know, that TF is still in beta and they don't know, that there will most likely be another reset.

So there needs to be a little information on the TF download page and then all good for my liking.

Good idea.. We should definitely make sure to make it clear that there will be a reset for the next competition. Our current plan is to go between bug fixing and competitions until there are no more sync issues. At that point, we'll leave beta and release for real.

I'm not voting there. 

My vote is for whatever make most sense in development to push Treat Fighter forward. 

I want to see Treat Fighter be successful, so whatever makes most sense for TF has my vote. 

We all knew that it was beta testing, so... wherever the cards may land, they land. Beta on any mainnet is risky. We all know that and were willing to play along. 

(I do treasure my Bronze Treat Fighter though. I'd like to keep that. I gave away my CHI winnings to other players. It was only that precious, rare Bronze Treat Fighter that I wanted.)

But, if I have to sacrifice that for the future advancement of TF... let it be. 

Do whatever gets TF to a final release! 

(But I do dearly love my Bronze Treat Fighter!) 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 4:10 AM, Davit Nazarashvili said:

What is backward compatibility?

Basically, if we change anything with how the game processes player actions and don't limit it to happening after a future block, everyone who resyncs with those changes will end up with a different game state from anyone who doesn't have the new version of the game. Unfortunately, even tiny changes can have a pretty big effect over a number of blocks. It's very much the butterfly effect here.

I made two changes in the latest version. One was to make it so that new accounts weren't written to the database until they had done something in the game that was verified on the blockchain. The other was to limit the sweetness of treats to the maximum. Both of these were bugs we discovered during the last beta competition. I didn't limit those to happening at a specific block, so when you sync with the new changes, they've effectively rewritten the history of the game and therefore the state is different. This usually comes with people losing fighters. This is obviously not something we'd do once the game is live, but since we're still in beta and planning to reset soon anyway, I didn't add the complexity of limiting those changes to newer blocks.

Hopefully that answers your question!

Seems not much participators concern about the change, let's setup a timeline for moving forward.

Thanks