DarkClaw

Simple Games

I'm not sure I really understand this project yet so let me know if this is off base... But why not start out with some simple games (eg pong, tic-tac-toe, chess, etc) to demonstrate how it works?

• Like 1

Single or 2-player games aren't as conducive to blockchain gaming as multiplayer games are. Blockchain gaming is more suited for social games, MMOs, MMORPGs, games where you want to eliminate any possibility of cheating/fraud, games where they must be provably fair, where transparency is important, etc. 

There are ways to have single player or 2-player games done, but they need to have a reason to be on the blockchain.

For example, a single player chess game really doesn't need to be on the blockchain. What's the point? You just pay fees for transactions for what reason? 

However, if you created "Definitive Chess" where people played against each other and proper chess rankings were tracked (such as with the Elo rating system), you'd have a solid record of games and rankings. The question then is whether or not that would be appealing to chess players. The advantage is that nothing can be faked and that scores are tracked with consensus and guaranteed by the blockchain. 

Not everything needs to be (or should be) on a blockchain. There needs to be a reason.

For something like Tic-Tac-Toe, it could make a good tutorial program to show how to record moves and pick a winner. But, it would be best done on testnet and not mainnet as it would really serve no purpose other than to bloat the main chain. 

None of this is to say that there's no place for single or 2-player games on the blockchain. It's merely to say that they need a reason. Coming up with that reason could be very profitable for some entrepreneurial game developer. Good ideas are out there! 

• Thanks 1

If you created "Definitive Chess" where people played against each other and proper chess rankings were tracked (such as with the Elo rating system), you'd have a solid record of games and rankings. The question then is whether or not that would be appealing to chess players. The advantage is that nothing can be faked and that scores are tracked with consensus and guaranteed by the blockchain. 

Yes, this sounds like something useful for online chess, etc games. I am not saying that would be the best use case for xaya, but it seems (to me who is just now learning what is going on here) to be an easy way to show how it works. Just have a simple game people want to play to try it out like in an arcade. It could be just pay chi to play chess so you dont deal with non-serious competition. Is there something wrong with this idea or the project is waiting for someone to just do it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkClaw said:

Yes, this sounds like something useful for online chess, etc games. I am not saying that would be the best use case for xaya, but it seems (to me who is just now learning what is going on here) to be an easy way to show how it works. Just have a simple game people want to play to try it out like in an arcade. It could be just pay chi to play chess so you dont deal with non-serious competition. Is there something wrong with this idea or the project is waiting for someone to just do it?

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I think that we'd like to leave some of those projects to aspiring game developers to do. 

I'm afraid that there are some things that we simply shouldn't do. I think that we need to leave space open for others to join us on this journey. 

But, that's my personal opinion on the topic. 

Regarding your comment:

>  It could be just pay chi to play chess so you dont deal with non-serious competition.

That's a very good point. I think there's space for that. 

Why not have a chess game where people can play, get ranked, and bet against each other? 

There are many possibilities. 

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Ok, based on this I will go try to make it happen. Maybe checkers or connect four, anything like that...

Where can I find guidance on the obstacles I will face?

8 hours ago, DarkClaw said:

Ok, based on this I will go try to make it happen. Maybe checkers or connect four, anything like that...

Where can I find guidance on the obstacles I will face?

At the moment, development is unfortunately still not very easy - you will have to take care of all the "blockchain integration" yourself.  We are working on improving things here - so I suggest that you wait until our proposed interface between games and the core daemon is implemented, or even until we have written support libraries for our SDK based on that interface.  These two things are one of the main priorities for the next releases now that the mainnet is launched.

But if you want to give it a try right away (and are perhaps interested in learning the lower-level fundamentals along the way!), then I suggest you start reading our design for games on the blockchain.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DarkClaw said:

I'm not sure I really understand this project yet so let me know if this is off base... But why not start out with some simple games (eg pong, tic-tac-toe, chess, etc) to demonstrate how it works?

That is exactly how we will do it and the exact examples we planned. Only we have 2 game studios building more complex games already.

Chess, and, notes and crosses, although can be gamed were to be the first example template games, and may still be used.

Pong will probably be a first example of Game Channels.

Keep us updated with your progress and let us know if you get stuck.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, domob said:

At the moment, development is unfortunately still not very easy - you will have to take care of all the "blockchain integration" yourself.  We are working on improving things here - so I suggest that you wait until our proposed interface between games and the core daemon is implemented, or even until we have written support libraries for our SDK based on that interface.  These two things are one of the main priorities for the next releases now that the mainnet is launched.

But if you want to give it a try right away (and are perhaps interested in learning the lower-level fundamentals along the way!), then I suggest you start reading our design for games on the blockchain.

Thanks, as noted in the other thread I am starting with a very simple block explorer. I am sure you can get an idea of my current abilities from what I've posted there.

22 hours ago, snailbrain said:

That is exactly how we will do it and the exact examples we planned. Only we have 2 game studios building more complex games already.

Chess, and, notes and crosses, although can be gamed were to be the first example template games, and may still be used.

Pong will probably be a first example of Game Channels.

Keep us updated with your progress and let us know if you get stuck.

From your post, it sounds like there are already some prototypes implemented of a few games like that, they are just unstable. Is that right? I am sure you will come out with something well before I could ever hope to in that case.

Really would like to see this in action even if it is not working completely.  Xaya seems like one of those things no one can really understand until they use it.

A chess bot had crossed my mind to code for the steem blockchain. My hope was that moves could be piped into GNU Chess for the nitty gritty chess stuff to happen. :)

- Booner