casp0or

Xaya-Gaming.net Main Site Launch *BACK ONLINE* | *Liquid.com Trade Data* + *Blockreward Info* added

If I see it correctly, your method works off the current difficulty only.  The method used in the RPC actually calculates the hash rate over a previous period of time, based on the individual difficulty values of the blocks (e.g., it handles changes of the difficulty over time).

There is no particular reason why I did it that way, except that this is also how upstream Bitcoin works - except that I had to extend the logic to handle multi-algo correctly.

10 hours ago, domob said:

If I see it correctly, your method works off the current difficulty only.  The method used in the RPC actually calculates the hash rate over a previous period of time, based on the individual difficulty values of the blocks (e.g., it handles changes of the difficulty over time).

There is no particular reason why I did it that way, except that this is also how upstream Bitcoin works - except that I had to extend the logic to handle multi-algo correctly.

Yes, exactly. I already have hourly (~120 blocks) and daily (~2880 blocks) hashrates estimated elsewhere, so it makes little sense for me to also calculate that at each individual block. I think it is all correct now then.

Also, do you have any explanation for why there is actually ~31.5 s per block rather than the targeted 30 s? It works out so there are about 135 fewer blocks per day than expected.

13 hours ago, DarkClaw said:

Also, do you have any explanation for why there is actually ~31.5 s per block rather than the targeted 30 s? It works out so there are about 135 fewer blocks per day than expected.

No, not really.  That seems not too far off, though, so I guess it is just due to fluctuations in the hash rate or something like that.

7 hours ago, domob said:

No, not really.  That seems not too far off, though, so I guess it is just due to fluctuations in the hash rate or something like that.

I was thinking it was orphan blocks, but I only see 10-20 per day... Perhaps if we add up the time for each block to get verified and propagate:

135*30/2745 = 1.475 seconds/block

For bitcoin apparently it takes a median of~5 seconds for a block to propagate and ~1.5 seconds for a transaction:

The chart below shows the 50th percentile of the inv-messages received by peers, i.e., the plot shows the time since a transaction or block enters the network until a majority of nodes has received and processed it.

http://bitcoinstats.com/network/propagation/

Some more info:

According the paper 'Information propagation in the bitcoin network.' by Decker and Wattenhofer. The mean time for a node to see a block is 12.6 seconds, after 40 seconds 95% of the nodes have seen that block.

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/10821/how-long-does-it-take-to-propagate-a-newly-created-block-to-the-entire-bitcoin-n

That same link mentions a calculated latency of 2.11 seconds.

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1557/speed-of-operations-in-the-bitcoin-network

So it looks like that is roughly correct, at least the correct order of magnitude.

Edited by DarkClaw

FYI: xaya-gaming should be back shortly. I think something went wrong with migrating to a new hosting set-up and the old one was not paid.