Sign in to follow this  
Rippy

Interest in mmo Pokemon-like game on Xaya

Hey all,

Just curious if the Xaya user base would be interested in a mmo game similar to the old school 2d Pokemon games? Looking at our next project and considering working on the Xaya platform as it seems to be the most promising platform for games on the blockchain.

Regards,
Rippy

I think it will be great and old School 2d game like pokemon in a mmo world. And if you you could Play it on a Smartphone on the xaya blockchain, im sure this would be very successfull!

I can't really talk for interest in the community, but I think that a game like Pokemon would be well-suited to blockchain gaming in general and our platform in particular.  The "true ownership" aspect of blockchain games is particularly appealing for a game centered around collecting, and it could build a thriving in-game trade economy as well.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for replies, will post what we decide in the coming days / weeks. We do want to go ahead with a mmo for crypto (pokemon or runescape style) but only if there is demand for it. 

Edited by Rippy

Sounds great!  If you decide to try the XAYA platform, you would be one of the first building games for it - and we are happy to support you as much as we can.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:05 PM, domob said:

Sounds great!  If you decide to try the XAYA platform, you would be one of the first building games for it - and we are happy to support you as much as we can.

Thanks, is there any documentation available for developers? 

3 hours ago, Rippy said:

Thanks, is there any documentation available for developers?

Unfortunately not much yet.  There are rather technical descriptions about Xaya's general model for games as well as the core daemon's ZMQ interface (created specifically for the gaming usecase).  I suggest that you start by reading at least the first page to get an understanding of how games are supposed to work.

For the actual implementation, we are right now in the process of implementing a wrapper library that takes care of interfacing to the core daemon (including the ZMQ interface described) for you.  In principle, when you use it, all you need to do is "just" write functions that implement the particular game-state processing of your game.  The libxayagame repository is available to the public already, although still very much in development.  But you can take a look at it and the "Movers" example game included.

If you decide to start actual development after looking through these resources, I suggest that you talk to us first to discuss your rough plan.  I'm happy to schedule a video call on Google hangouts, for instance.  I think that will be useful to align your development to our future plans and make sure you are not wasting time on anything that might be obsoleted in the future (and things like this).  We certainly do have a lot of more improvements coming in the future.

We are currently leaning towards a card-based game rather than a full scale mmo, some brief details below:

-Cards will have exp, gain levels and evolve at XX levels.
-Cards will have move sets and stats (HP, Attack, Defense etc.). EG a card may start off with 2 moves and gain more as you level up, a max of 4 moves can exist on a card.
-Cards will have item slots to power up the monster. (Still debating this as it may cause balance nightmares)
-There will be different rarities for the cards and items, these will most likely follow standard formula seen in most online games (common, rare, epic, legendary).
-Items and cards will be obtainable through daily missions, ranked play and tournaments. 
-There will be card booster packs. (think boosters from Pokémon TCG)
-When entering combat, you will be able to select 1-5 cards from your collection to enter combat, combat will be exactly like Pokémon.
-When summoning a card, it will generate a 2D animated sprite of your monster which will have animations for its entire move set.
-PvP with staking.
-All items and cards will be tradable on marketplace.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 5:43 AM, Rippy said:

-Items and cards will be obtainable through daily missions, ranked play and tournaments. 

-> Awesome, is a daily login rewards is possible ?

-When entering combat, you will be able to select 1-5 cards from your collection to enter combat, combat will be exactly like Pokémon.

-> When you say like pokement, you mean the concept of Water is better than Fire, Electricity better than Water, etc. ? With the energy card you have to link to your summoned pokement to be able to attack ? (yes I really loved the Pokement TCG ^^)

-PvP with staking.

-> What do you mean ?

I know it's just the draft, but this idea is brillant !